Matthew just loves his cheh cheh. In fact, his first word was cheh cheh. These pics were taken when he was a few months old, in my parents house in Taiping. And for all the bullying that she got from him, Leticia loves him dearly.

I had thought that I have been coping with it all ok, but had some anxiety attacks last night. I don’t even know if that’s what it’s called. Feeling of panic overcame me, and my heart was palpitating, couldn’t sleep at all. I woke Marcel to hold me, just wanted to be held. There was some comfort there, but thoughts were of Matthew.
Texted Mabel from our playgroup in the morning. ‘Will it be OK for me to come and see you? I am tired of assuring everyone that I am ok when I am not.’ Mabel has always been an assuring person, since I met her last year. ‘Come now,’ she texted back, and that Aunty Harriet will be there for me as well. When words fail, a hug and a smile will just do, and she just did that. Cries and tears overcame me, and Aunty and Mabel just listened. It is ok not to be ok, they assured me. I guess it’s the Malaysian thing, that we want to put the other person at ease. When people ask ‘how are you’, we have been taught to reply ‘fine, thank you.’ People don’t expect to hear how bad your day had been. So similarly I guess, I was trying to assure people that I was doing ok. The truth is that I am not so okay. There are ok day, and there are not-so-ok days.
I was so glad that I came here to be with these two wonderful ladies, who gave me more than a shoulder to cry on. We talked, we laughed, reminiscing about Matthew and the things that he loves doing at the playgroup. Crying is good, laughing is good. Kin joined us when she came to pick her son Micah. A dear, new friend, whom I got the inspiration from to start a blog. A friend whom I would deliberate speak Hokkien with, for our northern Hokkien is the same. I got inspired from her blog, was following it for a couple of months before deciding to start my own last week.
How strange life is. I started this blog with the intention of recording both my children’s growing up years, but now, I want to use this as a way of helping me cope with the loss of dear Jien. I want to record down all the details of him, his personality, his quirks, etc, before I fear that - thru the passage of time - I may cease to remember. Even now, I am half expecting him to come up from behind me for a bear hug, or pulling my hand to lead me to the kitchen for some cookies.
As I walked out of the playgroup, down the staircase, out of the door and into the sunshine, I realized that this is the first time I am leaving it without Jien. He loves so much coming here. We started coming here in January. First, once a week, and then from July onwards, twice a week. He gets so excited when we reach the playgroup stair case that he will race up the stairs and starts banging on the door. And as soon as the door opens, he will just whiz in. My arms feels strangely empty, for this time, I am not carrying him. Jesus is carrying him now. I drove back to Taman Desa, where Marcel and Yen have been waiting for me. Marcel has been so worried for me. My daughter is excited to see me. My heart is lightened
Texted Mabel from our playgroup in the morning. ‘Will it be OK for me to come and see you? I am tired of assuring everyone that I am ok when I am not.’ Mabel has always been an assuring person, since I met her last year. ‘Come now,’ she texted back, and that Aunty Harriet will be there for me as well. When words fail, a hug and a smile will just do, and she just did that. Cries and tears overcame me, and Aunty and Mabel just listened. It is ok not to be ok, they assured me. I guess it’s the Malaysian thing, that we want to put the other person at ease. When people ask ‘how are you’, we have been taught to reply ‘fine, thank you.’ People don’t expect to hear how bad your day had been. So similarly I guess, I was trying to assure people that I was doing ok. The truth is that I am not so okay. There are ok day, and there are not-so-ok days.
I was so glad that I came here to be with these two wonderful ladies, who gave me more than a shoulder to cry on. We talked, we laughed, reminiscing about Matthew and the things that he loves doing at the playgroup. Crying is good, laughing is good. Kin joined us when she came to pick her son Micah. A dear, new friend, whom I got the inspiration from to start a blog. A friend whom I would deliberate speak Hokkien with, for our northern Hokkien is the same. I got inspired from her blog, was following it for a couple of months before deciding to start my own last week.
How strange life is. I started this blog with the intention of recording both my children’s growing up years, but now, I want to use this as a way of helping me cope with the loss of dear Jien. I want to record down all the details of him, his personality, his quirks, etc, before I fear that - thru the passage of time - I may cease to remember. Even now, I am half expecting him to come up from behind me for a bear hug, or pulling my hand to lead me to the kitchen for some cookies.
As I walked out of the playgroup, down the staircase, out of the door and into the sunshine, I realized that this is the first time I am leaving it without Jien. He loves so much coming here. We started coming here in January. First, once a week, and then from July onwards, twice a week. He gets so excited when we reach the playgroup stair case that he will race up the stairs and starts banging on the door. And as soon as the door opens, he will just whiz in. My arms feels strangely empty, for this time, I am not carrying him. Jesus is carrying him now. I drove back to Taman Desa, where Marcel and Yen have been waiting for me. Marcel has been so worried for me. My daughter is excited to see me. My heart is lightened
8 comments:
It really IS okay not to be okay. We're all here when you want us. Just come over and do nothing. We won't press. Maybe Leticia would like to come see Erin too!
For many reasons I am glad you still have your girl to "keep you busy".
There is a time to need to be alone and cry and want the whole world to stand still.
But there is also a time we need to know that time never does stand still and we too need to move on with those whom we love and still needs us.
Take care, my dear.
Call me anytime, even in the wee hours if you need to talk. I'm ok with that.
I'm glad you have good friends there. It's important to keep reaching out to them.
Take care
mott
*hugs*, even though we don't really know each other. Like others here have said, it IS ok to not be ok. It took me a few years for the pain to stop for me when my dad died unexpectedly, and the anxiety attacks came too for a while. I cannot imagine how many times that sorrow is amplified with the loss of a beloved child... I guess some losses we never do get over, nor should we, in the sense that Matthew will always be with you and in your heart. If you can lean on Jesus, He will give you the strength to cope, especially for your daughter's sake who still needs you desperately, esp. in this time of grieving. And your husband too.
I don't know if you know this song by Don Moen, "God Will Make A Way". He wrote it for his sister-in-law when her eldest son died. Here's what Don said about how he came to write this song for them, "During the flight the morning after the accident, God gave me a song for them: God will make a way where there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see. He will make a way for me. The song was based upon Isaiah 43:19 NASB Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth; will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, rivers in the desert."
I found this video of the song on youtube. I hope it will bless you, at least a little. *hugs*...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hOjYR8UZT8
I am happy to hear that you know it is OK to feel that it is OK not to be OK. Am also glad that you have friends to turn to where you can just pour out your feelings to.
Take care.
Phaik Suan, we pray for strength and peace for you, Marcel & Leticia. The Good Lord will take care and love Matthew for all of us and shower you with his love from above.
Our thoughts, love and prayer will be with you always.
Till we meet the next time, God Speed ...
Judy, Noel, Michelle & Justin.
Phaik Suan, we pray for strength and peace for you, Marcel & Leticia. The Good Lord will take care and love Matthew for all of us and shower you with his love from above.
Our thoughts, love and prayer will be with you always.
Till we meet the next time, God Speed ...
Judy, Noel, Michelle & Justin.
Hi My dear..
I know just words alone are not enough to make you better. I am a mother myself and I know the pain you are experiencing. I know he was a lovely child and I myself cant stop thinking about him. Nevertheless, we know that he is in heaven with our Lord Jesus Christ.
May the Lord give you, Marcel and your gal all the strength and peace that’s needed.
Feel free to call me whenever you need to.
God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Psalms 46:1
Post a Comment