Sunday, November 9, 2008

Missing Her Brother

Was it a tough day at nursery school today, cheh cheh?




A big hug for my little brother



Mommy, cheh cheh is singing so loudly, make her stop





I'm so glad when mommy and Heng Jien come to pick me up after school


These pictures were taken when Leticia was 4+ and Matthew was 18 months old, the only pictures that i have of both of them in the back seat of my little trusty Tiara car. He would shriek with delight whenever he sees cheh cheh after her kindy.



Leticia misses her brother a lot. She knows that he is in heaven, and we try to be positive about it to her. That he is no more here with us because he is in heaven, as natural as we try to be. And as a five year old, she easily accepts that. As I was tucking her into bed just now, she said to me ‘Mommy, say good night to Heng Jien.’ So I said good-night to my son in heaven. Earlier in the evening as I was giving her the kids’ star- shaped vitamin, as I was shaking the tablets out of the bottle and 2 fell out onto my palm, she said ‘just one vitamin now mommy’. As much as I am glad that she is accepting well that Jien is not here anymore, I know she misses him so and it breaks my heart. He was her playmate and room mate, and more.


Since he left us, she has refused to sleep in her room and now sleeps with Marcel and I in our room. Though they both share a room, Jien would always come onto our bed when he wakes in the middle of the night. He doesn’t fuss nor want milk when he wakes, he’d just walk to our room and climb onto our bed – sleeping in between Marcel and I. I’d always wake to find him next to me, sometimes even with his toy rabbit Hoppity (it was the cheh cheh’s rabbit) with him. He had been rather attached to this rabbit a few weeks before, which I was a bit delighted since he never did have any attachment to any toy animals before, unlike Yen who was very attached to her toy cat Sparkles and the red dog Patrick when she was his age. I felt that it should be natural for kids his age to have their favourite toy animal. So that’s why Hoppity was with Jien in the casket. I am so glad that he looked so at peace, my handsome little boy, with Hoppity beside him - strange as it may sound – that he was not really alone.

The back seat of the car is so quiet now without Matthew. For the past one week, I have been looking back and seeing my daughter staring out the window, silent. Before, she would play with her brother (he is safely strapped in his baby car seat) and there would be laughter, squeals, complaints, screaming, etc. And now, silence in the back seat.

A few days ago, Yen asked me ‘are you going to have another baby?’ I told her that I’m not sure, and I don’t know yet. ‘Why, do you want another baby?’ I asked her. She shook her head and said ‘scared what happened to Heng Jien happen to baby,’ and she added ‘miss Heng Jien.’

Yes, we all do miss him. It’s incredibly and unbelievably hard. I’d be ok and the next moment, not ok. And when that happens, that feeling just so overwhelmingly overtakes my whole being. It’s indescribable. I’d never lost anyone close to me before, other than my grandma who passed on at the age of 84 after a long bout of illness. But this is my son. It’s so hard in even questioning why and what ifs.

Sometimes when I look at pictures of my son or think of him, I can’t help but feel ‘cheated.’ Cheated of a normal life with 2 normal kids, doing the mundane and ordinary things that a family of 4 does. Now it’s the 3 of us. We take so much for granted, until life gives you a twist. Yes, I feel angry sometimes. How could I not? Such a waste. Such a waste of my lovely son. He is so beautiful. He has the softest skin, the most beautiful of long eyelashes just like his Daddy, the cheekiest of smile that melts your heart even after he has done something naughty. Such a waste. How could this have happened? But my grief overcomes my anger, for I miss him so much. It is so so hard. Why do I have to go thru this journey of grief?

This afternoon, as Yen was watching Winnie the Pooh and Tigger on the TV at Granny’s house in Bangsar, she was dancing to the theme song of the cartoon, ‘when you have a problem – think. When you have a problem – think, think, think.’ My son absolutely loves this show. He would always dance to the song. His dancing is actually jumping. He looked so cute doing this, with his knees bent and just jumping up and down with his squeals of delight whenever the song plays. Sometimes he would even point his finger to his head to indicate ‘think think think’ just as the lead girl character, Darby, does on the show. I could not help it for I miss my son so much, so I said to Yen that ‘if Heng Jien is here, he’ll be watching this with you.’ Without mising a beat of her dancing and as naturally as she is, she replied in a chirpy and happy voice that ‘Heng Jien is watching in heaven.’ I smiled. When I told my husband about this, he said that our daughter will get us through this. Yes, I do believe that he is right.


8 comments:

TripleJin said...

Bless her bigger than big heart.

Both your children are so beautiful and loving.

mott

Camiel said...

Dear Pakupakis, Marcel and Leticia,

Last week, Brian told me about the loss of your son Matthew. No words...only thoughts and pain. My name is Camiel and I've know Brian, Marcel, Duncan and their mom since 20 years now.

I sincerely do hope that you'll find the strenght and faith to cope with the loss of your Matthew. Be there for each other and allow yourselves to express your feelings with and towards eachother. Only time can heal the intensity of your sadness.

When we (my wife Marcella and I)lost our first babies (triplets) due to the fact that they were born to early, I expressed my feeling on paper. Now, a few years later, our son CJ (Camiel Jr) was born 5 months ago. When he'll be old enough to understand, I'll read him the following lines, that I wrote for his 2 brothers and sister, who are now with him as his guardian angels:

Let New Life Live

It started as a dream
After 3 years, pregnant of 3
Happiness, love, rest and counting
Living towards that big day

Carrying, loving and worrying
3 little creatures, growing inside
Week by week, becoming more baby
Two boys, taking care of their sister

Little legs moving, looking for space
Pressure is growing and space becomes rare
One little fellow losing his liquid
The beginning of the end, little by little

Fighting, praying, depending on others
Suffering 24 hours a day, but hoping even more
Positive signs immediately tackled by negative influences
Where there is hope, there is life

Suddenly, life becomes visible
Too early, too weak and too vulnerable
Fighting for life, but loosing the battle
Sacrifying himself for his brothers’ blood

Still hoping to keep two lives inside
Daylight is calling and they slip away
One baby-girl straight to her brother
One left, struggling to survive

24 hours, looking for breath and strength
At the end, his brothers came and released him
No more suffering, no more hope
New life has lived, but could not live anymore

Re-united: Raphael, Carlo and Valentina
It finished how it started, three Angels together
Not able to receive our Love
But living forever in our hearts and minds

It started as a dream
Let new life live
Not on this earth, but forever in peace
Wish we were living a dream.

Hsian said...

Hi Michelle, Hsian here. Though we don't know each other so well, I enjoyed the conversation we had at P&L's wedding. Like that you are so down to earth and chirpy. Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take good care of yourself and let me know if Srihari and I can help in any way.

Unknown said...

Dearest Michelle,

I came to know you n Marcel since you guys moved in-front of my home many years ago, since Yen2 was a baby ( not even 1 year old yet). I know of many friends who are mothers and today I would like to say this.

Michelle, you take the PRIZE for being the BEST Mommy I have ever met or seen. Daily, you and your delightful children with a wonderful smile, a chirpy gesture, now and then a drawing or maybe new toy or other greet me at the walkway or my entrance. You have over the years painted to me a Mommy who is funny, very caring, more that loving, extremely dotting, ever there and much more than words can describe. Never did l hear you expressing even a single sigh on your daily chores.

My words can’t express the turmoil you, Marcel & Yen have gone through but l hope my prayers (Babu & Aru as well) will help you guys through this tough journey. Last night at Sifu’s place, we lighted candles for Mathew Heng Jian who is in his new home up there in heaven.

My wish and prayers is for you to take charge of the present, be positive for Yen & Marcel. Don’t be afraid to grieve now as it will allow for closure and accept what he has planned for you. For me there is always a silver lining in every dark cloud. Please feel free to sms, call or just knock on my door, no matter what time if you need any help or just some one to talk too.

I’m so grateful to have people like you, Marcel and Yen being part of my life in Tmn D.

Moomykin said...

It's amazing how children can "see" beyond this world and give us hope in times of darkness.

That's the reason for this season:
All is well -
For unto us a Child is born.

Srikanth Siva said...

ur a strong mother with a strong family. I can only wish the best wishes for all of u moving forward.

Bethany said...

Those are such beautiful photographs.
*hugs*
Minni

Hope said...

Hi PS

I was filled with shock and pain when Goldwyn told me of your son's passing. I have been meaning to call and talk to you but am to emotional when ever i think about it - being a mother of a pair myself.

Even reading your blog, i had to stop twice to hide the tears coz am in the office. So please give me some time to be strong enuf to call you in person that i may have the right words of comfort for you.

But for now ..... Put your sadness and your disappointments at the foot of the cross. Only our loving father can heal this pain and you will find hope and strength in his words.

LIfe is never fair and we cant question god for the things he does.. can we? But one thing i believe in, is that heaven is a beautiful place, the safest, the most peaceful and the nothing can be better than being next to the father himself.

Matthew is safe in his arms, playing happily, dancing to all his favorite tunes and looking down on his family with love.

You and Marcel have to be strong for the sake of Leticia...easier said than done, but you will get there. Marcel was right she is the key to freeing you of this pain (though there will never be freedom from something like this) but more so acceptance and the ability to go on with life.

Kids come out of things fast, they hurt less compared to adults, she will of course miss him and love him but because of her age, she will surface first. So don't feel bad for her, she is going through the process of grieving but she will be alright and so will you.

My prayers and thoughts are with you both, take care of yourself, don't neglect your needs and find strength to go on coz you have a lovely daughter who needs you very much and a husband who also needs your support. "This" too will pass ....be strong ok!

love

darlene